Are you getting the error :-
Upload component - Upload Failed ERROR:
Could not find an XML setup file in the package.
On trying to upload a Joomla! component? Here's a quick checklist on how to solve it...
- Check that it is a component (usually has _com_ in the file title
- Check the component is for your version of Joomla!
- Check that the directories required by Joomla! have the correct permissions and are writeable:-
media/ Writeable administrator/components/ Writeable components/ Writeable images/stories/ Writeable
- Ensure that the directories have the correct permissions (typically chmod 777) and the correct owner/group. A quick handy command line script can be found here.
- Ensure that the zip file (usual install) is not double compressed - some components ship with the actual zip file and readme file zipped into an overal container zip.
- Check that PHP SAFE MODE is set to off (through your control panel or a phpinfo file) and then set accordingly if required through the hosting control panel, the .htaccess or ask your host to change the setting.